Seventeen things you might not know about me
Ok, I know this was a Thursday Thirteen, but I couldn't blast my daughter's behind away from the computer before now. So here goes.
1. If I could have any gift/skill in the world...the ability to dance. I watch all dance movies - awful acting and all- and dream that I can actually put the lower half of my body into some kind of synchronization with the top half.
2. I actually took a hip hop dance class a couple of years ago. If you've ever seen me in person, please tone the guffaws down to a mild chortle. It was me and 3 girls from a high school drill team and a girl in junior high. Wow. With mirrors everywhere.
3. I think I'm thinner and more attractive than I really am. This is why photographs are so unwelcome and so shocking. Unfortunately, when I was MUCH thinner and more attractive, I didn't have a clue.
4. I was plagued by nightmares as a child and couldn't watch any t.v. show or movie that was even slightly scary. This includes "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" with Don Knotts. Ok, stop guffawing, I can hear you. When I got older I learned to change my dreams when they started to turn dark and now I almost never have any trouble at all. Even after watching really dark, psychological movies. I still don't do the whole Freddy Krueger, Halloween, SawIII thing, though.
5. As outgoing as I am - I can literally carry on a balanced, two-way conversation with virtually anyone - I often agonize over my own foolishness and/or foot-in-mouth disease on my way home.
6. I don't consider myself maternal in the slightest. I always wanted children, but the actual raising of them has been quite a challenge. It's not their fault, just how it is. I actually do better with teenagers, even in jr. high, than with toddlers through elementary. I know. Weird, huh?
7. I have an uncanny memory for faces, and I'm pretty good with names, too. If I tell you your face is familiar, I will eventually figure out where I met you before. In another state. 22 years ago.
8. I have a nearly all-consuming desire to be on stage. Except I don't do skits. They're not cool.
9. I have a minister's license and I am third generation in the ministry. I don't preach, but I do teach, counsel, sing, and write.
10. My most difficult birthday was my 30th, because I had not finished my degree and I was disappointed in myself. By 40 I had my B.A. and was working on my M.Ed. Much better.
11. I still feel that the bigness of my life is ahead of me. I hope I'm not wrong about this because I believe there is bigness in me. At this point there is definitely bigness to me.
12. I took an English horseback riding class in college and it was one of the most fun things I have ever done. One of these days I'm getting a horse and I don't care if it harelips the Devil! What exactly does that phrase mean?
13. I don't think I am creative. I'm really good at following a pattern, and that is not the same thing.
14. Did I mention that I'm weird. Oh, you already knew that. What I didn't realize growing up and trying desperately to hide my weirdness, was that it was like trying to hide a fart. Particularly if one is lactose intolerant. I have found, however, that weirdness seems to be "in" these days and I enjoy a certain degree of coolness to my own bewilderment.
15. I carry Play-Doh with me at all times, because when I get stressed out I like to smell it. Please refer to the above item.
16. When I was in college, different school, I slid down the bannister of the music bldg. in a dress. Unfortunately, the young man at the bottom neglected to catch me and I broke my foot.
17. I had a black belt in dating before I married 23 years ago. I did mention that I was much thinner and more attractive then, didn't I?
O.k. that's certainly more than anyone really needed to know. I'm going to bed now. Feel free to spread the love.