Monday, December 03, 2007

Legacy

Lately, God has been stirring in my spirit about purpose, potential, legacy. Ringing in my mind are these words from Nichole Nordman, "I want to leave a legacy. How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough To make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering. A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically. And leave that kind of legacy."

In my constant state of "I'm not like other girls," I wonder if anyone else out there wants to leave the same kind of legacy that I do. My heroines were Joan of Arc, Deborah, and Jael (my favorite!). I want to be FIERCE! Not mean, but fierce. This would be where I (or maybe the enemy) say I don't think I'm like other women. I hope I'm wrong. I'm feeling challenged by God that we as American Christians are not impacting our world, because we teach our children to be cowards. Hide, don't rock the boat, separate. Even our general culture says that defending your country or those who can't defend themselves is for the foolish. Stay home and hope things get better. Don't volunteer. Don't speak up. Don't lay down your life.

Honestly, when I read Foxe's Book of Martyrs I'm so ashamed of myself and my comfortable Christianity. I want to know the honor of giving my life for God. I fall so short. Why do we value a mediocre life extended over a life well-lived with honor and integrity. I love that my children think I'm cool and funny, but I mostly want them to think I'm FIERCE.

I know this is not everyone's heart, nor do I expect it to be. I don't consider myself better than anyone for feeling driven in this direction. I just wonder today, what is the legacy you want to leave? How are you pursuing that?

1 comment:

Judith said...

You have done a wondrous thing here, pointing out so from your heart your reason for being.

I'll need to think on it some, but promise you I will post soon about my need to also leave a fierce legacy. Mombo, thank you so much for doing this.