Saturday, December 27, 2008

Twas the two days after Christmas...

And all through the house, debris, flotsam, and jetsam covered many a mouse? Well, so much for post-Christmas poetry. The house is a disaster and my mother-in-law's coming over tonight. So, it's pretty clear what we'll be doing today. Right now the kids are still in bed, so things are pretty quiet.

Rachel and I will be heading down to Texas to see the fam Sunday evening. It should be an interesting mix of good and bad. You see, my mom has finally admitted there might be a problem, and went for some testing for Alzheimers. She will be getting her test results on Monday, and I don't think she's going to like what they have to say. It's been obvious to the family for a long time, but her quack doctor said she was fine. Where can someone find a doctor that actually listens, PAYS ATTENTION, and looks for answers until they are found?!? I can't believe what these guys get away with for the price we pay! MEDIOCRITY!! I think we all know where I stand on this issue now. The problem is, she could have been in treatment for well over a year now. Each time I see her, she's gone noticeably down hill. It's so painful.

On the upside, I'll get to see my Texas friends and attend a New Year's Eve party with one of my buds. I get to stay with my niece/best friend, and I can't wait to spend some time with her! I was hoping to get my hair cut while there, but my hairdresser in TX is booked up and I'm broke. So, I'll just have to struggle along with this sorry little mop for a little while longer.

Speaking of broke, I have a small moral dilemma. I am now the proud (or not so proud) owner of a Coach purse and an iPhone. I received both as prizes - it's strange, I happen to win things often. We looked into returning the purse, but they would only give store credit. I needed the phone, so we didn't try to return it. Besides the fact that I won it at the company picnic, so people would have asked questions. The dilemma is this: we are broke. As in, I'd like to buy a dozen eggs, but I just don't have the dough. Like, Doug and I didn't get gifts for each other - not even stocking stuffers - broke. So it feels really weird to be carrying around these luxury items. I have no illusions about them being luxuries, and they aren't things I would have ever bought for myself. Ever. I didn't even know about Coach before this sales contest came up. It just feels weird. Once again, I ponder "what is God up to?" Once again, He offers no clue. It's this deal we have. Any ideas out there? Is anyone still out there reading? I suppose not, but that's the consequence of not writing for months at a time.

If anyone is reading, I hope you had a blessed Christmas. My kids really stepped up to the responsibility plate and didn't complain about the dearth of gifts this year. I'm proud of them. Now I must start the pre-Mother-in-law cleaning process. Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Judith said...

Well Hi again, Mombo,

So good conecting with you again. I am especially sad for all the losses your son is dealing with.
Once in a while, when one more challenge surfaces, I wonder how Jobe dealt with all of his.

I just know my God is more than Big, and really cares about me.
So, hang in there and get that degree you're working on. It is just as easy to dwell on the good, as it is to relive the bad.

Sometimes I edge toward worrying about financial stuff, especially with us in this modern day depression. But then I remind myself, God has taken good care of me since the old depression began, and I don't think He'll stop now.

Now that you're back, please stay a while with us. There really sometimes is strength in our numbers.

Barb said...

Well, there you are, Mombo.

Good grief. I just read both your recent posts and don't even know where to begin.

I'm sorry for your son, sorry for all the medical disasters and the death of your husband's grandmother. And I'm especially sorry about the diagnosis you expect your mother to get. Your plate has certainly been full.

Broke here too so of course the washer decided to break down Sunday night. The very, very fancy, expensive five year old washer. Sigh.

Here's one word of encouragement. Your mother-in-law doesn't care what your house looks like. Really, she doesn't. She raised kids. She knows.

I was blessed. My mother in law was a slob and always thought my house was absolutely pristine. LOL

Welcome back. I hope you stick around for a while, but if not, you're in my blogline lineup. :-)